Group Members: Lisong Yang
Bain Group History
Researcher, Durham University, Feb 2007-present; Project manager, Oct 2016 – Sept 2020;
- Next Generation Inkjet Technology, EPSRC grant GR/T11920, Feb 2007 – Aug 2009.
- Realising the Potential of Next Generation Printed Pharmaceuticals, TSB grant BD352J, Oct 2009 – March 2012.
- Innovation in Industrial Inkjet Technology – I4T, EPSRC grant EP/H018913/1, April 2012 – July 2015.
- Inca Digital Consultancy: inkjet printing, July 2014 – July 2015.
- Inca Digital/DU Inkjet Printing Project, Aug 2015 – July 2016 and Jan 2017-Mar 2017.
- P&G/DU Droplet Impact, Splashing and Drainage in Automatic Dishwashers, Jan 2016 – Dec 2016.
- Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG, Charaterisation of pL-droplets, Oct 2016 – Feb 2017.
- Evaporative drying of droplets and the formation of micro-structured and functional particles and films, EPSRC grant EP/N025245/1, Oct 2016 – Sept 2021.
- Syngenta, Investigation into the drying and localisation of components in formulations of Syngenta materials deposits, Dec 2019 – Sept 2020.
- Advanced tools for predictive cleaning in a world of resource scarcity, P&G/DU, July 2021 – Sept 2025.
- Design theory-based nanostructured leaf-vein networks for selective VOC sensing (DIVINE), Feb 2023 – Jan 2026, in collaboration with the lead scientist on the project, Prof Hasan at the Cambridge Graphene Centre, Cambridge University, Prof. Bain at Durham University, and Prof. Gardner at Warwick University.
Research – Outline
I am a physicist by training. I obtained my PhD degree in Shanghai Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics (SIOFM), Chinese Academy of Science (CAS), China, with expertise in confocal scanning microscopy, optical interferometry and ultrafast laser spectroscopy. My research was guided towards complex fluids in the Bain group. My work started with developing techniques on characterising dynamic properties of complex fluids, and then moved towards the fundamental understanding and the control of droplet behaviour in formation, spreading and drying. I am now a named researcher funded by P&G working on developing tools to study the interaction between complex organic soil (COS) and porous material. I will also join a team and work as Co-PI in 2023 – 2026 on the precision manufacturing of microporous thin films.
- H.-M. D’Ambrosio, T. Colosimo, B. R. Duffy, S. K. Wilson, L. Yang, C. D. Bain and D. E. Walker, Evaporation of a droplet in a well: theory and experiment, J Fluid Mech. 927,A43 (2021) (DOI)
- A. Pahlavan, L. Yang, C. D. Bain and H. A. Stone, Evaporation of binary-mixture liquid droplets: picoliter pancakes, Phys. Rev. Lett. 2021, 127, 024501 (2021) (DOI)
- J. Shi, L. Yang and C. D. Bain “Wetting and Drying of Aqueous Droplets Containing Nonionic Surfactants CnEm”, Langmuir 2021, 37, 4091-4101 (DOI)
- G. Hu, L. Yang, Z. Yang, Y. Wang, X. Jin, J. Dai, Q. Wu, S. Liu, X. Zhu, X. Wang, T.-C. Wu, R. C. T. Howe, T. Albrow-Owen, L. W. T. Ng, Q. Yang, L. G. Occhipinti, R. I. Woodward, E. J. R. Kelleher, Z. Sun, X. Huang, M. Zhang, C. D. Bain, T. Hasan “A general ink formulation of 2D crystals for wafer-scale inkjet printing” Science Advances 2020, 6, eaba5029 (DOI)
- R. Deng, Y. Wang, L. Yang, C. D. Bain “In Situ Fabrication of Polymeric Microcapsules by Ink-Jet Printing of Emulsions” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2019, 11, 40652-40661 (DOI)
- J. Shi, L. Yang, C. D. Bain “Drying of ethanol/water droplets containing silica nanonparticles” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2019, 11, 14275-14285 (DOI)
- Y. Wang, R. Deng, L. Yang, C. D. Bain “Fabrication of monolayers of uniform polymeric particles by inkjet printing of monodisperse emulsions produced by microfluidics” Lab on a Chip 2019, 19, 3077-3085 (DOI)
- L. Yang, N. Kapur, Y. Wang, F. Fiesser, F. Bierbrauer, M. C. T. Wilson, T. Sabey, C. D. Bain “Drop-on-demand satellite-free drop formation for precision fluid delivery” Chemical Engineering Science 2018, 186, 102-115 (DOI)
- R. Deng, L. Yang, C.D. Bain “Combining Inkjet Printing with Emulsion Solvent Evaporation to Pattern Polymeric Particles” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 2018, 10, 12317-12322 (DOI)
- E.L. Talbott, H.N. Yow, L. Yang, A. Berson, S.R. Biggs, C.D. Bain “Printing Small Dots from Large Drops” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 2015, 7, 3782-3790 (DOI)
- L. Yang, B.K. Kazmierski, S.D. Hoath, S. Jung, W. Hsiao, Y. Wang, A. Berson, O. Harlen, N. Kapur and C.D. Bain “Determination of dynamic surface tension and viscosity of non-Newtonian fluids from drop oscillations” Physics of Fluids 2014, 26 (DOI)
- E.L. Talbot, L. Yang, A Berson, C.D. Bain “Control of the Particle Distribution in Inkjet Printing through an Evaporation-Driven Sol-Gel Transition” Applied Materials & Interfaces 2014, 6, 9572-9583 (DOI)
- E. L. Talbot, A. Berson, L. Yang and C. D. Bain, Internal Flows and Particle Transport Inside Picoliter Droplets of Binary Solvent Mixtures, NIP29 Digital printing technologies conference, USA (2013)
- L. Yang, L. J. Adamson, C. D. Bain “Study of liquid jet instability by confocal microscopy” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 2012, 83, 073104 (DOI)
- L. Yang and C. D. Bain, Liquid jet instability and dynamic surface tension effect on breakup, NIP25 Digital printing technologies conference in Louisville KY, 79-82, USA (2009)
- Clarke, A., Fiesser, F., Yang, L., Bain, C. D. & Kapur, N. 2013 Liquid dispensing device and methods of control the same. Patent application 61/790508.2013
For more publications please link here.
For more research history please click Linkedin or Researchgate.
I remain an active badminton player for 30 years and go bouldering occasionally. I enjoy cooking and gardening, as always.