The research in the Bain Group can be loosely characterised as ‘wet’ surface chemistry. We are motivated by two general questions:
- What is the relationship between the microscopic structure of a thin film and the molecular structure of its constituent molecules?
- How do the microscopic properties of an interface determine its macroscopic behaviour?
Our focus is on fundamental physical chemistry, but the systems we study have potential applications in areas such as lubrication, food processing, printing and coating technology, process engineering and pathology. Systems are chosen to be sufficiently complex to capture the essential behaviour of real applications, yet simple enough to permit a determination of the structure of the interface.
Please follow the links above to find out more about the research and the people in the Bain Group. Click on WWW.COLINBAIN.NET at the top of pages within this website to return to the home page.
Postdoctoral Research Associate in Precision Manufacturing of Microporous Thin Films
We invite applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to work on a project entitled “Design theory-based nanostructured leaf-vein networks for selective VOC sensing (DIVINE)”, funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council. For the details of job description, role responsibilities and application process, please link here.
- W. Li, K. Sun, L. Yang, X. Mao, S. Deng, H. Jiang, P. Gu, B. Cao, W. Li, M. Yi, C. D. Bain, R. Deng and Jintao Zhu, In Situ Self-Assembly of Nanoscale Particles into Macroscale Ordered Monolayers with Enhanced Memory Performance, Small, (2022) accepted
- Amir A. Pahlavan, L. Yang, Colin D. Bain and Howard A. Stone, Evaporation of binary-mixture liquid droplets: The formation of picoliter pancakelike shapes. Phys. Rev. Lett.127, 024501 (2021). (DOI)
- H.-M. D’Ambrosio, T. Colosimo, B. R. Duffy, S. K. Wilson, L. Yang, C. D. Bain and D. E. Walker, Evaporation of a droplet in a well: theory and experiment. J Fluid Mech. 927,A43 (2021).(DOI)
- J. Shi, L. Yang, C. D. Bain “Wetting and Drying of Aqueous Droplets Containing Nonionic Surfactants CnEm” Langmuir 2021. (DOI)
- G. Hu, L. Yang, Z. Yang, Y. Wang, X. Jin, J. Dai, Q. Wu, S. Liu, X. Zhu, X. Wang, T.-C. Wu, R. C. T. Howe, T. Albrow-Owen, L. W. T. Ng, Q. Yang, L. G. Occhipinti, R. I. Woodward, E. J. R. Kelleher, Z. Sun, X. Huang, M. Zhang, C. D. Bain, T. Hasan “A general ink formulation of 2D crystals for wafer-scale inkjet printing” Science Advances 2020, 6, eaba5029. (DOI)
- R. Deng, Y. Wang, L. Yang, C. D. Bain “In Situ Fabrication of Polymeric Microcapsules by Ink-Jet Printing of Emulsions” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2019, 11, 40652-40661. (DOI)
- J. Shi, L. Yang, C. D. Bain “Drying of ethanol/water droplets containing silica nanonparticles” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2019, 11, 14275-14285. (DOI)
- Y. Wang, R. Deng, L. Yang, C. D. Bain “Fabrication of monolayers of uniform polymeric particles by inkjet printing of monodisperse emulsions produced by microfluidics” Lab on a Chip 2019, 19, 3077-3085. (DOI)
Last updated in November 2022.